2011 A.A.R.A. SPORTSMAN DIVISION
ALL CARS MUST MEET MECHANICAL SAFETY AND APPEARANCE AT ALL TIMES BY TECH PERSONAL
AUTOMOBILE BODY REGULATIONS
1. CLARIFICATION - O.E.M. IS DEFINED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AS MANUFACTURED. – NOT ALTERED IN ANY MANNER.
2. American made street cars, 1960 through the current model year, minimum 108 inches wheelbase. NO CONVERTIBLES, STATION WAGON OR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS. NO PONY CARS, MUSTANGS, ETC. BODY MUST MEET APPROVAL OF SAFETY OFFICIALS. Body MUST be in stock position with completely enclosed cockpit. Firewall MUST be installed between driver and fuel cell. Late model style interior may be used. All cars MUST run a hood. Panel and doors may be fabricated, of .040 aluminum or 24 gauge steel sheet metal only. MUST retain original appearance. MUST have loop or chains front and rear for towing. Roof MUST remain stock appearing. After market steel or aluminum bodies are permitted. Minimum ground clearance in front of front tires shall be 8 inches. Maximum width of body at any point 76 inches with no tolerance. Front nose piece including flares maximum 81 inches with no tolerance. Minimum opening size at any point (window or interior) 12 inches. Maximum body rake of 4 inches measured in a continuous plane from the front firewall to the rear body. Dropped interior allowed, however no part of quarter panel may be higher than deck lid. Deck lid must be a minimum length of 18 inches.
3. All glass, chrome, plastic trim, and windshield MUST be removed. Windshield opening MUST be covered with ½ inch by ½ inch or 1 inch by ½ inch wire mesh. With three (3) upright bars of 3/8 inch steel rod minimum welded to roll cage in front of driver, 6 inches apart.
4. Rear spoiler may be used. Maximum 8" width Lexan or aluminum with three (3) 18 inch long angled supports. Supports will be no higher/taller than spoiler.
5. Roll over bars MUST be a box over and behind the driver. Bars MUST be at least 1 ‘/2 inch o.d. steel tubing with a minimum of .095 wall thickness NO ALUMINUM TUBING. A minimum of four bars of the same 1 1/2 inch material as the roll bars MUST protect the inside of the driver’s door. Three (3) bars of the same material MUST protect the inside of the right side door. All door bars MUST have minimum of three (3) vertical pegs from door bars to the frame in each door. Top of driver’s helmet MUST be below roll cage. All roll cages MUST be approved by safety Officials. Rear of driver’s seat (at base) to center line of rear end housing shall be a minimum of 27 inches.
6. NO rearview mirrors of any kind permitted
7. Front loop not to exceed 1¾ inches in diameter round tubing with a maximum of .125 inches wall thickness. Three (3) pegs for support may be used on each side, loop not to exceed 5 inch as measured from front of radiator in stock position to front side of tubing. If you have any questions a ask safety man. All tubing shall be steel.
8. Rub rails may be used on side of car, 1¾ inch diameter maximum steel tubing. MUST be mounted flush against the body. Ends MUST be turned in towards the frame and extended past center of the tire. All tubing ends must be capped.
9. Contained fuel cell required, MUST be in trunk, securely fastened to the frame rails. Electric fuel pumps allowed. Fuel shutoff valves MUST be within easy reach of driver. Rear loop may be used steel pipe 1¾ inch diameter maximum. MUST be inside of trunk and follow the contour of the frame. Fuel cell not to be lower than center of rear end. MUST have loop to protect fuel cell. Tank or cell MUST mount in frame of minimum 1 inch X 1 inch steel. Two (2)2 inch X 1/8 inch straps must surrounding cell. Gasoline fuel only — NO ADDITIVES OF ANY KIND ALLOWED.
10. Front bumpers may be stock appearing. Bars or pipe MUST extend to frame horn to prevent hooking; there will be no sharp edges on bars or pipes. Rear bumpers, a loop may be put on rear bumper only, not to exceed in 6 inches in height. Loop may be supported by a maximum of 4 pegs. Bumpers be tied to rear frame. Loop tied to support tubing or bars. Tubing may be maximum of 1¾ inch diameter by 1/8 inch diameter wall. No sharp edges. Maximum 18 inches height of rear bumper at center of car. If rear bumper is fabricated, maximum of 2 inch X 3 inch rectangle or round 1¾ inch wall tubing may be used.
11. All frames MUST remain O.E.M. stock in shape and thickness and run from the front bumper to the center of the rear end.
12. Rear frame may be fabricated from center of rear end to the rear bumper.
13. NO TITANIUM OR OTHER EXOTIC MATERIALS ALLOWED FOR THE BODY, ENGINE, OR SUSPENSION.
ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS AND REAR ENDS
1. Any engine chassis combination may be utilized. Engines MUST remain stock except as noted below.
2. All motors MUST be stock bore and stroke as per manufacture.
a. Maximum overbore .060 + .012 wear
b. Aftermarket stock dimension, stock appearing, and stock weight crankshaft permitted. NO gun drilling, knife edge or pendulum cut. Aftermarket steel connecting rods permitted cap screws are OK.
c. 360 cubic inch maximum as manufactured
d. Balancing okay
e. Maximum compression for any engine 11.00:1
f. Any aftermarket steel balancer permitted.
3. Cylinder heads may have three angle valve cut. NO angle milling, polishing, or porting allowed. May have screw-in studs, and guide plates. **NO VORTEC HEADS**
4. MAXIMUM VALVE SIZE FOR ALL SMALL BLOCK MOTORS Intake 2.02 inch max. All others OEM stock as manufactured. Dual valve springs permitted 1.5 inch max. diameter. After market springs with or without dampers okay. Aftermarket retainers okay.
5. Stock type rocker arms, standard ratio for engine run. Stock style replacement full-roller rockers optional. Poly locks allowed. Stud girdles permitted.
6. Any flat tappet cam allowed. Standard lifter bore for engine used. NO gear or belt drive.
7. Flat or dish top pistons only, no positive deck. Free floating pins okay.
8. Any cast iron O.E.M. or the following aluminum intakes may be used.
Ford 7515 5021
G.M. 7546 5001
Chrysler 7545 5076
Manifold must bolt directly to heads no modification.
9. All cars must meet minimum weights according to the following:
a. 318 cubic inch or less-As manufactured, GM- Ford- Chrysler. OEM cast iron heads and approved intake, minimum weight 2700 lbs. w/driver after race. -After market cast iron heads with approved intake minimum weight of 2800 lbs. w/driver after race.
b. 360 cubic inch or less:-As manufactured, GM-Ford- Chrysler OEM cast iron heads and approved intake minimum weight 2900 lbs. w/ driver after race. -After market cast iron heads and approved intake minimum weight 3000 lbs w/driver after race.
***NO VORTEC HEADS***
10. Headers optional. All exhaust MUST exit away from driver. NO Zoomies. Noise level MUST meet local track decibel limits. Manufactured mufflers required.
11. .Two- barrel carburetors only, maximum #44 12 — 500 cfm Holley. Removal of choke assembly and air horn only. Billet metering blocks ok.
12. Maximum 2 inch carburetor adapter allowed. Maximum air cleaner height 5 inch from air horn base.
13. Engine location, foremost spark plug MUST be aligned with or be in front of center of upper ball joint.
14. Any distributor, NO magnetos or crank triggers
15. A ¾ inch plug must be installed in oil pan for inspection purposes. This access hold must be directly in line with a visible rod journal.
16. Crankshaft claim – Crankshaft may be claimed for $400. Claim must be made prior to feature event. All claims are final. Only Sportsman Driver competing in the event or AARA may make claim. Failure to sell shall result in a $200 fine, loss of 400 points and loss of all monies and points earned at the event.
A.A.RA. GM 602 Crate Engine
Engine Specs and Requirements - The engine that will be approved for competition with AARA will be the GM P/N 88958602 GMR 350/350 Circle track Engine.
The engines will be purchased directly from AARA and sealed with the associations seals prior to delivery to owner. All factory engine seals will remain intact and un tampered with, the exception being the addition of AARA’s sealing devices. Any service work requiring the removal of seals or seal bolts must be scheduled with and approved by AARA. Tampering with seals will result in severe penalties and loss of eligibility of engine to compete in the AARA Sportsman Division.
602 GM Crate Engines will be allowed to be re-built at AARA approved service centers only. At this time AARA approved service center is Mittler Bros. Machine.
Engine will be delivered with distributor and serial numbered spec two (2) inch spacer plate.
All engines will have serial numbers stamped on them and all AARA seals will be numbered and recorded for each engine.
All cars will weigh 2800 min. with driver at conclusion of race.
Carburetors - Holley 650 4 bbl P/N 0-80541
Must fit AARA gauges. Boosters, Venturi area, Base Plate, Butterflies, or Throttle Shaft ay not be altered in any manner with the exception of a hole may be drilled in butterflies to improve idling. Alterations to allow additional air to be picked up below venturi will not be allowed. I.E. altered gaskets, base plates or drilling holes into carb. Carb. Spacer is TRD-2432 furnished with engine.
Replaceable Engine Parts
VALVE SPRINGS - The only approved valve springs for the GM Performance Factory Sealer Circle Track Crate Engine (GM Part Number 88958602) are factory OEM GM Part Number 10212811 springs or Comp Cams P/N 981-16 Additional valve springs devices of any kind are not permitted.
PUSH RODS - The only approved Push Rods for the GM Performance Factory Sealer Circle Track Crate Engine (GM Part Number 88958602) are the factory OEM GM Part Number 14095256. Any alteration of any kind to factory OEM GM Part Number 14095256 Push Rods is not permitted. The addition of guide plates or any other Push Rod devices of any kind are not permitted.
ROCKER ARMS - The only approved rocker arms for the GM Performance Factory Sealer Circle Track Crate Engine (GM Part Number 88958602) are factory OEM GM Part Number 10089648 Rocker Arm or Crane P/N 11800-16 with a 1.5 ratio. Additional rocker arm devices of any kind are not permitted. Additional oiling devices of any kind are not permitted.
ROCKER ARM NUTS - The only approved rocker arm nuts for the GM Performance Factory Sealer Circle Track Crate Engine (GM Part Number 88958602) is the factory OEM KOOL NUT KIT GM Part Number 25534352 or Crane P/N 99 768-16. Additional Rocker Arm Stud support or strengthening devices of any kind are not permitted.
HARMONIC BALANCER - The Harmonic Balancer must be factory OEM GM Part Number 12555879. Alterations of any kind to the factory OEM GM Part Number 12555879 Harmonic Balancer are not permitted.
The cost of the engine, subject to manufactures price increase, is $3,510.00. This includes carb. Spacer and sealing of motor. Contact Don Hoener @636-928-1716 or 636-288-2716 to order your engine.
DRIVE TRAIN CLUTCHES AND BELL HOUSING
17. Any O.E.M. style clutch allowed. no aluminum drive train COMPONENTS 10 inch minimum.
—NO racing pressure plate. Aluminum flywheel okay Hydraulic clutches, throw out bearing optional.
—NO aluminum on clutch or pressure plate.
Multi Disc clutches permitted minimum 7.25 inches in diameter.
18. Blow proof bell housings or blankets required. Must be approved by AARA TECH OFFICIAL.
19. Any O.E.M. transmission- NO internal clutches.
Automatics MUST have working converter.
– ALL GEARS MUST WORK
- NO LIGHTENING OF INTERNAL GEARS
REAR ENDS AND BRAKE ASSEMBLIES
20. Any all steel non-quick change rear end is permitted. Mini-spools and full spools are optional; however, aluminum spools are not permitted. Aluminum drive plates are permitted.
21. Drum or disc brakes permitted. Stock or after market vented steel rotors and steel calipers allowed. Fabricated brackets permitted. NO drilling, cutting or lightening of drum or rotor except for wheel studs.
22. Cockpit adjustable brakes permitted.
23. MUST BE STEEL AND PAINTED WHITE.
24. MUST have steel drive shaft loop within 6 inches to 12 inches of the front of U-joint. LOOP MUST be steel ¼ inch thick X 1 inch minimum around drive shaft.
25. ONE automotive battery 14 inch X 8 inch maximum size. Battery must not be mounted in driver’s compartment. No coolers of any type in driver’s compartment
NO modifying of any part in any manner unless otherwise stated except for use of heavy duty ball joints on lower “A” frame
26. NO cockpit adjustable suspension of any type.
27. NO aluminum suspension components
28. Front-stock suspension only. Lower “A” frame MUST be O.E.M. style and in stock location. Any all steel upper control arm is permitted; aluminum shaft optional Racing shocks may be mounted outboard. Fabricated upper “A” arm mount is permitted. Front cross member may be altered for pump and steering clearance.
29. Any five-lug stock as manufactured, O.E.M. spindle, may use spindle saver.
30. Inner or outer tie rod ends may be replaced with heim ends.
31. Four (4) weight jacks may be used
32. Rear springs MUST be in stock location. Factory upper spring bucket MUST remain, center of spring bucket may be removed. Jack bolt must be solid, no mono-balls, swivels or heim ends and fit directly into spring cup. Lower coil spring mount must remain in stock location. Cross member may be altered or removed for three link rear suspension. Coil spring rear suspension MUST use stock lower trailing arms in stock location for frame used. NO coil-over eliminators. Leaf springs optional on rear end. NO combination coil and leaf rear suspension. Aluminum lowering blocks permitted on leaf spring rear end.
33. MONO BALLS PERMITTED
34. Three-link coil suspension may be used. Pannard bar or J-Bar permitted-cushioned links limited to one (1) biscuit per side, no springs of any type. Upper links limited to four (4) biscuits, Ford type only. Maximum diameter of biscuits 3.5 inches, maximum thickness 1.75 inches.
35. Upper trailing arms 4-link suspension–Must be in stock location, in stock mounts, and be of stock length. Eurothane biscuits are permitted on pull bars, maximum diameter 3.5 inches, maximum thickness 1.75 inches.
36. Maximum of 4 shocks one (1) per wheel may be used.
37. Minimum three (3) wheel brakes. If (3) wheel brakes are run right front brake assemble may be removed.
38. Quick steering device may be used.
39. NO traction control devices.
40. Maximum track width 80 inches outside sidewall to outside sidewall front and rear
41. 108 inch minimum wheel base must be maintained at all times.
42. Any added weight MUST be securely attached with a minimum of two (2) ½” diameter bolts, Any added weight MUST be painted white and MUST identified with the car number on it.
Claim of $50 for any shock. Participating sportsman driver must present written claim and monies (cash only) to protest/tech person prior to start of feature. Claim must specify number and location for shocks to be claimed. Driver of car with shock(s) claimed will be notified after feature event. Car with claimed shock(s) will proceed immediately to claim area for removal and transfer of shocks. Refusal to sell will result in $50.00 fine first time, second time $100.00 and third time-suspension for balance of season. ALL CLAIMS ARE FINAL.
WHEEL AND TIRES
1. Wheels may be maximum of 8 inch wide. Right side wheels MUST be reinforced. One bead lock optional.
2. Hoosier E-Mod required
3. Tire grooving and siping approved.
4. 9/16 inch or 5/8 inch wheel studs MUST be used on right side.
5. Mud plugs MUST bolt-in behind bead lock or be foam type.
SAFETY & APPEARANCE
1. All cars MUST be equipped with window net and mounting must be approved by safety officials. $10.00 fine if net comes down during a race. NO car may start a race without a window net.
2. All drivers MUST wear approved racing helmet, Current Snell recommended.
3. All drivers MUST wear an approved fire retardant driving suit. All drivers MUST wear safety goggles or helmet shield.
4. All cars MUST be equipped with approved safety belts and shoulder harness, double straps are required. They MUST be installed in a manner approved by safety officials. Only quick release aircraft type belt will be allowed. All cars MUST have a 5-point seat belt system, seat belt, shoulder harness, and crotch strap. Minimum 3 inch wide belts MUST be used. Seat belts and driver seat MUST be secured to the frame or roll cage. We recommend that seat belt and shoulder harness be replaced every 2 years.
5. All cars MUST be painted and MUST be in clean and presentable condition upon entering competition. They will be allowed three (3) weeks to repaint and repair sheet metal damage after an accident.
6. The car number MUST be painted on the car in a legible manner and in sharply contrasting colors 18” high on both sides of the car and on the roof facing the left side. A white number minimum of 6” high painted on a black background, MUST be mounted in the upper right hand corner of the windshield opening. Diver’s name must appear above door.